Skip Navigation

FAQ: Insuring RVs, trailers, boats, ATVs and more

FAQ: Insuring RVs, trailers, boats, ATVs and more

With the weather heating up and summer vacation quickly approaching, you’re probably thinking more about trips to the cabin or camping trips in the RV rather than your insurance. 

However, summer activities that involve the use of recreational vehicles often require specialized insurance coverage. It’s important to regularly review your insurance policies for these seasonal items with your broker so that you can be confident that you and your loved ones are protected. 

Below are a few frequently asked questions about insuring seasonal recreational vehicles.

What counts as a recreational vehicle?

This answer varies depending on the province or territory you live in. In Alberta, summer recreational vehicles include:

Do I need to insure my recreational vehicle?

Whether or not a recreational vehicle needs to be insured is dependent on the type of vehicle and where you plan on using it:

Aside from legal requirements, why should I insure my recreational vehicle?

Having insurance on your recreational vehicle helps to ensure the protection of your vehicle, yourself, your passengers and others. You’ll want to talk with your broker about how the following types of insurance coverage apply to you and your recreational vehicles:*

*Motorhomes and travel/holiday trailers insurance written with a specialty Leisure and Lifestyle Insurer may provide other coverage – speak with your broker.

How do I insure my recreational vehicle?

Not all insurance companies offer recreational vehicle insurance or cover them in the same way. It’s best to contact your insurance broker to discuss how owning a recreational vehicle might affect your insurance, as well as if recreational vehicles are covered under a standalone policy or can be added to or bundled with your existing insurance policy.

If my recreational vehicle is parked in the garage, is it covered by home insurance?

No, recreational vehicles parked in your garage are not covered by home insurance. You still need a recreational vehicle insurance policy to cover any damage to your RV, ATV, boat or motorcycle even if it’s parked in your garage.

If you own a recreational vehicle or are planning on purchasing one, contact a TW Insurance broker today at 1-888-338-2685 to discuss your insurance options. Current car or home insurance policy holders with TW may be eligible for discounts on recreational vehicles. Enjoy your summer knowing that you’re covered!